Saturday 27 August 2016

The end

Since more than six days I have been walking with a swollen foot. Getting started in the morning was quite painfull, and though the adventures during the day could easily distract me, I could clearly notice it again in the evening. Now I feel, that the time has come to stop walking for a longer period and this means to interrupt this journey. Meanwhile I stopped some cars and a truck and safely hitchhiked back home to Germany.
Though the "Wanderlust" in me grew stronger than before, I don't even feel disappointed that much about the end of the journey. Nevertheless I hope you do. ;) I only passed about 1/4 of the distance to Rome, but I got so much closer in achieving my personal goals. My main intentions was not just to know, but also to feel, what it means to be a Pilgrim: to be suspended to the weather, to the roads and circumstances, to strengthen body and soul, to limit myself to a small amount of things, to never know what a new day will bring and to withness the neverending kindness and help of the various people, that I met. I am so gratefull for that and this injury made me even learn more about myself, than it would be possible without it. If I will continue this oneday or start again? This question is best answered with the song of The Wild Rover.
After 278km: The heels of the leather shoes need to be replaced soon. The feet show abraisons and some healed blisters from the first days, but the right foot is swollen.

No comments:

Post a Comment