Wednesday 10 August 2016

Equipment

How did it feel to go on pilgrimage in medieval times? I wanted to get a closer impression about that, so I put together all the gear, that a 13th century's pilgrim would have had in my opinion. Many inspiration was given by this 15th century song:

Wer das elent bawen wel

 

Drinking from a fountain, while testing the equipment on a hike.
Wer das elent bawen wel,
der heb sich auf und sei mein gesel
wol auf sant Jacobs straßen!
Zwei par schuoch der darf er wol
ein schüßel bei der flaschen.

Ein braiten huot den sol er han
und an mantel sol er nit gan,
mit leder wol besezet,
es schnei oder regn oder wähe der wint,
daß in die luft nicht nezet.  

Sack und stab ist auch darbei,
er luog, daß er gebeichtet sei,
gebeichtet und gebueßet!
Kumt er in die welschen lant,
er findt kein teutschen priester. [...]

According to the lyrics in old German, this is what I should take with me:

☑ Two pair of shoes
☐ Bowl
☑ Bottle
☑ Wide hat
☑ Cloak
☑ Sack
☑ Rod 

I don't think a bowl will be necesary for me. So I feel quite prepared to start my journey in the middle of August 2016. 
 


1 comment:

  1. I hope you took at least a knife with you! crazy guy... :D
    Wish you a very very adventurous time!
    -Kathi

    ReplyDelete